- Wärtsilä’s sustainable development is based on economic, environmental and social performance.
- Environmentally sound solutions are our key contribution to sustainable development.
- Wärtsilä is committed to supporting the UN Global Compact.
- Wärtsilä is included in several sustainability indices and is the only company in its sector to be included in both the Ethibel Pioneer and the Ethibel Excellence Investment Registers.
|Added value to Wärtsilä's stakeholders|
|Customers||Net sales||4 209||4 553|
|Suppliers||Cost of goods, materials and services purchased||-2 694||-2 927|
|Value added||1 514||1 626|
|Distribution of value added||Distributed to stakeholders|
|Employees||Wages and salaries||770||773|
|Public sector||Taxes and social dues||323||326|
|Creditors||Net financial items||16||13|
|For business development||228||242|
|Personnel in figures 2011|
|Number of employees at 31 Dec. 2011||17 913|
|Number of nationalities||114|
|Change in number of employees (net employment creation)||-191|
|Average age of employees||years||38.8|
|Executive positions globally: male/female ratio||%||90/10|
|Employee turnover (resigned)||%||8.6|
|Total payroll costs||MEUR||770|
|Aggregate coverage of different bonus schemes||%||60|
|Development discussions held annually||%||89|
“Our most important role in sustainability is to supply environmentally sound solutions and services, which enable our customers to develop their business in a sustainable way. This requires us to continuously invest in technology development and in an ongoing search for new solutions.”
- Marko Vainikka, Director, Sustainability
“Wärtsilä’s Board of Management has the overall responsibility for sustainability performance. It defines the sustainability targets and monitors performance against these set targets.”
- Kari Hietanen, Group Vice President, Corporate Relations and Legal
“Our aim is to have energetic, competent and motivated personnel with exciting and meaningful jobs and career opportunities led by excellent leaders. Wärtsilä’s corporate policy on equal opportunities and fair employment practices creates a common framework for employee practices in all Wärtsilä companies.”
- Päivi Castrén, Group Vice President, Human Resources