Wärtsilä Ship Power
Wärtsilä Ship Power’s position is strong in all the main marine segments. Our in-depth understanding of our customers’ businesses, combined with our extensive network, broad product portfolio, and ability to be involved as early as in the design process, enables us to support our customers throughout the lifecycle of their installations. We offer optimised, environmentally sustainable and economically sound solutions, which are developed based on our customers’ needs.
Our customer structure is two-fold
Ship Power customers comprise both shipyards and ship owners, and their needs and demands differ significantly. The decision-making process of shipyard customers is typically affected by product prices, delivery times and reliability, project management, ease of installations, and the supplier’s ability to manage large delivery scopes. Ship owners, on the other hand, require reliability, operational efficiency and support, as well as the availability of services. Decision-making is further impacted by freight rates, interest rates, and the cost of the ship. Furthermore, both ship owners and operators are increasingly considering factors such as optimised and operational efficiency, including environmental compliance, in their decision making.
We are committed to meeting the needs of both customer groups, which we achieve through our in-depth understanding of their businesses and requirements. As a result, we are able to offer solutions that best further their business interests.
Our offering covers all main customer segments
- Merchant – includes all vessels for seaborne transportation, such as container vessels, tankers, bulk carriers, LNG carriers, RoRo and other cargo vessels
- Offshore – includes vessels and platforms used in oil and gas exploration and production, as well as their support activities, drilling rigs and ships, anchor handling vessels, offshore research vessels, floating production units, platform supply vessels, etc.
- Cruise & Ferry – includes cruise vessels, passenger ferries, passenger/cargo ferries, fast ferries, and yachts
- Navy – includes various kinds of naval vessels and submarines
- Special vessels – includes a broad range of different vessels, the main categories being tugboats, fishing vessels, dredgers, and inland navigation and special service vessels
We have the most extensive product portfolio in the industry
Wärtsilä’s integrated ship power solutions are efficient, economically sound, and environmentally sustainable. Our design capabilities, long heritage, and technological leadership form the basis of our reputation. Our offering is the broadest in the industry:
- Medium-speed diesel and gas engines
- Low-speed engines
- Propellors, propulsion packages
- Seals and bearings
- Automation systems
- Power distribution and management systems
- Integrated solutions
- Exhaust gas cleaning systems
- Ballast water treatment systems
- Ship design
- New optimised vessel concepts and other solutions
Together with our in-house experience and expertise, this extensive product offering enables us to interface throughout all lifecycle stages. Our ability to combine the products we offer into larger systems and solutions supports our strategy of being the sole ship power supplier to our customers. This strategy provides added value to both of our customer groups despite their differing priorities. Shipyard customers can focus on their areas of expertise and benefit from a lesser risk of product interface problems, while ship owners can rely on benefits related to operations and maintenance.
Growth through optimised solutions and natural gas
Our ship design capabilities enable us to offer our customer optimised, highly efficient solutions that create growth opportunities in lifecycle services. By combining our integrated solutions and ship design knowledge, we are able to create increased value for our customers. Participating in the planning and designing phase allows us to better understand customer needs and thereby establish a stronger competitive position. Our in-depth expertise in optimising vessels makes it possible for our customers to achieve both cost efficiencies and improved environmental performance.
The tightening environmental regulations have strengthened interest in using gas as a marine fuel, as powering vessels with gas allows our customers to meet both economic and environmental targets. Wärtsilä’s dual-fuel technology has strong references in the marine markets. Our dual-fuel engines have recorded over 1.5 million running hours in over 70 marine applications. Environmental legislation is also driving interest in other vessel related technologies, such as the installation of scrubbers and ballast water treatment systems.